Q> How often should you seek this information about your WHS culture?
Organisational culture (and therefore safety culture also) is in constant change. This is not a bad thing but rather to be expected. The ‘health’ of your current safety culture is affected and impacted by a range of factors to a greater or lesser degree. Therefore it is important to ‘test the waters’ of your safety culture at various intervals in order to satisfy yourself that it is still in the shape you would like.
Things that may trigger a WHS cultural re-assessment could be;
- A significant change management program or event (New management system, expansion of operations, transfer of ownership)
- A significant incident with negative consequences (fatality or permanent disability)
- Significant legislative change
- A major employee redistribution (downsize or recruitment push)
- Senior leadership changes over a short time period.